The NFU Legal Assistance Scheme (LAS) is a discretionary benefits in-house scheme run by a team of solicitors. It provides NFU Farmer & Grower members with professional guidance and financial support towards legal and other professional costs, should you face a legal dispute relating to your farming or growing business.
The scheme is available as an optional extra to NFU Farmer & Grower members at just £37 + VAT a year.
This is not legal expenses insurance, but does offer its subscribers exclusive benefits.
Benefits of the NFU Legal Assistance Scheme include:
- Contribution towards professional fees
- Dedicated LAS Team offering professional guidance and support through the case
- Contribution towards mediation costs in Inter-member disputes (IMDs)
- £500 towards professional fees for BPS Independent Panel Reviews
- Up to £600 towards the cost of budgetary advice for rent reviews under Tenants’ First Advice Service
- Up to £300 towards the costs involved in putting up site notices in fly-grazing cases
- Contribution towards the professional costs of NVZ appeals
- Confidentiality assured
- Up to £1,000 towards a maximum of four contracts checked by our Legal Panel Firms under the NFU Contract Checking Service
- Up to £1,000 towards four sets of instructions generated by the NFU Legal Health Check Service
- Up to £250 towards the costs incurred from seeking professional advice from our Legal Panel Firms with regards to new public rights of way and in making section 31(6) applications
How can I access the service?
- Contact NFU CallFirst on 0370 845 8458 to speak to a specialist adviser for preliminary advice and to make an application for LAS funding (if required)
- If more in-depth advice is needed, your query will be referred to one of our local Legal Panel Firms for a free initial discussion about your case
- The firm will provide an initial report and further updates to the LAS team to consider funding towards your legal and other professional costs
*Financial support is at the discretion of the Legal Board and the LAS team. Each case is decided on its facts and legal merits. Costs incurred prior to NFU notification do not qualify.
To view our NFU Legal Services brochure, follow this link NFU Legal Services brochure
Full Terms & Conditions (effective from 1 November 2014), including eligibility criteria, are available below or from NFU CallFirst on 0370 845 8458.
Nick Hamer, NFU Legal Board Chairman
Andrew Clark, NFU Director of Policy